8.19.2012

alina szapocznikow: photosculptures

"The other day, Saturday, 
tired from having spent hours
polishing my Rolls-Royce in 
pink Portuguese marble,
I sat in the sun and day-dreamed 
as I mechanically
chewed a bit of gum.
In shaping with my mouth
odd-looking and bizarre forms,
I suddenly realized what an extraordinary collection
of abstract sculptures was between my teeth.
One has only to photograph and enlarge
my masticated creations
in order to achieve a sculptural presence.
Chew well then.
Look around you.
Creation lies just between
dreams and daily work."

92 Malakoff
22 June 1971
Alina Szapocznikow

Alina Szapocznikow
"Fotorzezby"
(Photosculptures)
Gelatin silver prints
1971/2007




















All images from:
"Alina Szapocznikow: Sculpture Undone, 
1955-1972"
Cornelia Butler
Jola Gola
Allegra Pesenti
Mercatorfonds, Brussels
MoMA, NYC
2011

Once again,
the exhibition this catalog accompanies 
will be at MoMA
October 7 - January 28, 2013
See you there!

2 comments: